The Monastic Mirror


____________________________

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

God's Creatures Great and Small

I want to share with you some of the majestic animals that grace this beautiful area in which I live.  The three bull elk in the picture are located in the borough of Benezette, Pennsylvania.  During the last two weeks of September and the first two weeks of October, countless visitors decend upon this area to witness nature and "the rut".  It is during this time, that the male or bull elk, bugle for the women in the herd. It is their mating call. The bulls will often spar each other to exert their dominance on the herd.  As you can see from the pictures, these majestic creatures can weigh around 1100 pounds or more.  I enjoy going just before dusk to get a glimpse of these beautiful animals. 


This picture was taken by Blaine Wehler.  It was during one of the trips to view the Elk that I ran into Blaine and I am so grateful that he sent me this picture.  I hope you too enjoy it.



If by chance you come across one of these little animals, they are not the hugable ones in the store.  Yes, that is a black bear, watching as I walk through the woods.  They too, have a beauty all their own.



Every once and awhile, God blesses me with a glimpse of this little creature.  It is a fawn, hiding in the brush while it's mother is not too far away.
     



   Thank you for coming on this journey into the woods with me.  I hope you can enjoy them as much as I do.
       
            God Bless,
                   Sister John Paul

1 comment:

  1. These are such gracious and majestic creature, "Great & Small". Thank you Sr. John Paul for sharing them with us. You're good at this!

    ReplyDelete